Friday, June 26, 2015

What I learned from doing VBS skits

I've been scarce on the blog this week in part because my husband and I have been spending a chunk of every day preparing for and acting in skits for our church's vacation Bible school program. I guess I never realized how much writing I do between five and nine p.m.

The theme of last night's skit was that when God calls us to do something, he helps us to do it, so we don't have to worry. Funny thing is, I was worried about last night's skit.

We didn't practice for as long as usual, and my husband and I each had a line or two that we just couldn't get down. As I waited for him to join me on stage and for the skit to begin, I couldn't even remember what my first line was supposed to be.

Not good.

But over the years -- I've done these skits pretty much every year since I was in high school -- I've found that the moral of last night's skit is true. Even when I feel inadequate, God comes through. The lines I've practiced slide out. If they don't, my on-stage partner compensates. I compensate for him too. In the end, we have fun, the kids love it, and the parents are left wondering if we practice at all or just ad-lib the whole thing. (I'm not sure that last part is a good thing, but when they ask, they're usually smiling, so I'll take it.)

While this is a lighthearted example of how God helps us when he asks us to do something, I think there's a lot to learn from it.  

Being called and knowing God will help is no excuse to skip reasonable preparation. In my example, I practice my lines and try to get them down. We gather the props we need to make the kids laugh. What must you do to reasonably prepare for what God has called you to?

God's help often follows a leap of faith on our part. God helping me to remember my lines would do no good if I didn't take the leap of faith to get up on stage in front of the 100+ people every night. I've got to get up there in faith that God will come through. In my writing life, this equates to sending out my stories and manuscripts for professionals to consider. What does it equate to in your life?

God's help doesn't always come in the form of a supernatural, inexplicable act of God. Sometimes, it's the costume-clad, accent-faking, wild card of an actor standing next to you. God works through people and circumstances. In my life, both on stage and off, God often works through my husband. While it's important to let the person know you appreciate them, make sure you also give credit where it's due by thanking God. Who has he used in your life?

What have you learned in your life about God's way of helping believers?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment