Friday, June 5, 2015

The free things in life

The flowers in my yard have given me the chance to do something nice for myself free of charge. Since the daffodils started to bloom in March or April, I've been cutting flowers from the yard and bringing them inside.

Now that one of my all-time favorites are in season (peonies-but I've probably said that about each flower as it bloomed...), I'm reminded again of what a blessing the free things in life are. Waking up next to this flower arrangement leaves me feeling rich, happy, and... blessed.

If you don't have a yard with flowers, you can still do a few things to brighten up your day. Baking your favorite dessert, writing yourself encouraging notes, giving yourself a manicure, and the list goes on.

In the picture of my workspace, you'll see I have both flowers and a note to myself, a quote from one of my writing friends.


Obviously, this post isn't meant as free license to be self-absorbed.  Doing something nice for someone else is also a great way to improve your own mood and outlook on life, and the Bible tells us to love our neighbors.

But... That full command says, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (See Matthew 22:39.) Notice "as yourself" in there? You get to love yourself, too.

The activities I listed above aren't terribly time-consuming, but they pay off for days. Also, while you're baking or picking flowers for yourself, you can pick/bake enough to share with your neighbor.

Now. If you do have a yard and are looking for flowers that will bloom throughout the season, here are the plants I've got lined up. I live in Wisconsin, so if you live in warmer or even colder places, this might not work for you, but part of what I like about these plants is that I obtained almost all of them for free, they don't take much maintenance, and you can cut them and bring them inside. Some were on the property when I moved here, but every one of these plants can be divided/split off a mature plant. That means that if your parents/friends/willing neighbors have a mature plant, they might let you take a section to start your own. It also means that once you have a mature plant, you can divide it to add color to new places in your yard or to share with others. Just Google "splitting ________". Here they are:

  • Daffodils
  • Lilacs
  • Lily of the valley
  • Peonies
  • Antique roses
  • Black-eyed Susans
  • Hydrangeas
What simple, free things do you like to do around your house and for your friends?

Love,
Your Sister

Lily of the Valley, tiny flowers with powerful fragrance

No comments:

Post a Comment