Wednesday, June 3, 2015

The Ants You Need

I recently posted a picture of my freshly-opened peonies on Facebook, and one of my friends commented something along the lines of "So pretty. But why do they always have ants?"

I know exactly what she means; the picture above is one I took a couple of years ago.

I had once heard that peony plants need the ants in order to be healthy, and as I considered whether or not to reply to my friend's question, it occurred to me that as people, we're much like ant-covered flowers. We have those parts of us that aren't all that pretty. We have traits and problems that repel people. But without those weaknesses, we wouldn't be the people God meant us to be, just like, without the ants, peonies wouldn't be the flowers they are.

Consider 2 Corinthians 12:9, But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Weaknesses do all that for us? Suddenly, I'm appreciating my shortcomings.

But what about peonies? Do they really need ants? From what I see on Google, the jury's still out on that one. It looks like peonies have small bits of nectar, which the ants come to collect. Some people think that the ants walking around on the hard buds of the yet-to-bloom flowers helps them to open up. Who knows. It's funny there's been a man on the moon but we still don't understand ants and flowers, isn't it?

Either way, I appreciate the reminder ants were to me today to be content in letting God use my weaknesses.

What lessons have you learned from nature?

Love,
Your Sister



No comments:

Post a Comment