Monday, June 1, 2015

Going to See the Otters

My city has a small, free zoo. The water fountain in the picture with my niece has been there since I was a kid, but the animal exhibits there have improved over the years. The most recent addition is a pair of river otters complete with a swimming area and an underwater viewing window.

On my own, I wouldn't have been terribly excited about this, but my sister was another story. So, we went to see the otters yesterday.

My sister was in it for the full experience. We walked from one side of the exhibit to the other, following the otters. When the otters swam, my sister placed her hand on the glass and was delighted when an otter came up and touched the window right where she waited. Twice.

Her excitement was contagious, and I'm thrilled that we went. The experience has me thinking about how often I fail to look at the world with wonder and excitement. I'm writing this blog post to tell myself (and you, if you need it) to stop being so hard to impress. It's time to stop and smell the flowers and to enjoy the otters.

If I need help looking at the world this way again, I suppose I have a few options. I can hang out with my niece, who's not yet so hard to impress, or my sister, who seems to have retained her excitement for the cute, furry things in the world. Excitement is contagious!

If you've got this area down, do someone else the favor my sister did me: invite them along on your adventures. Go have some fun and help them rediscover the wonder.

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment