Wednesday, April 15, 2015

You'll Never Have Peace Until...

In my house, I'll never have peace until all fifty pounds of my 7.5 month-old hound are comfortably exhausted. If he has extra energy, he uses it on endearing endeavors like chewing shoelaces and harassing my older dog. So, this morning, within an hour of waking, I drank a cup of coffee and then strapped on my Rollerblades. Skating around the neighborhood is the quickest way to wear out the dog.

It's not that I wanted to get exercise, but I wanted the peace that comes with it.

Most people don't have puppies in their homes (what a place the world would be if they did, though!), but I think this lesson applies to all of us.

I could've spent my morning working on this blog post, being interrupted every couple of minutes by a renegade puppy. My morning would've been much less productive. So, I chose to do something I didn't want to do in order to obtain the pay off.

What if, instead of beating yourself up every time you looked in the mirror or put on your jeans, you channeled that energy into getting fit? What if, instead of avoiding that co-worker who asked for your help on a project, you carved out the time and stayed true to your word?

Try focusing on the peace you'll have once the project is complete instead of on the hassle it is to complete it. Of course, when I put it that way, I ought to get going, because I can think of some other projects that need my attention. What a relief it'll be when they're done!

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment