Friday, April 17, 2015

Revisiting the Classics

In high school, I read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Unfortunately, I didn't really get it. Same for some of the other classics.

After watching the movie recently, I decided I wanted to try rereading it. At the bookstore, a paperback copy was only about $5. When I remarked on that to my sister, she commented that it was so cheap because the copyright was expired. That's when I realized there was an even better alternative to spending $5 (after all, that's a macchiato!): I could download the ebook for free from Amazon.

The added benefit is that on my Kindle, I can also just tap a word to get a definition of it, a help I need sometimes with classics like this.

As I'm happily reading along, I thought I'd share this reminder about how many of the old classics can be obtained free this way. (Many of them also have versions you can pay for. To find the free ones, search the name of the book and check to see if one of the first couple of options is free.)

Here are some books I've enjoyed that you can get free:
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

If you're not into classics and still want a bargain on books, try following your favorite authors on Facebook or on their blogs. Often, to promote a new book or to boost sales, authors/publishers will offer an ebook for a steep discount (or even for free).

What's your favorite classic?

Happy reading!

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment