Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I Don't Know

Maybe it's because I walked past a call center where I used to work yesterday, but when I read Mark 11:33 this morning, the verse struck me. The leaders of the Jews come to Jesus with a question meant to challenge his authority. Jesus turns the situation back on them by asking a question of his own. He says if they answer his question, he'll answer theirs. Jesus's question puts the leaders in an awkward spot, and after some discussion, the leaders answer, "We don't know" instead of telling the truth.

Funny thing about the phrase "I/we don't know" is that it doesn't usually work out well whether it's true or not.

It didn't work out well for the leaders in verse 33, and it didn't work out well in the call centers where I worked. It also wouldn't work well in the Bible study I lead.

In the example in Mark, the leaders should've just told the truth. If you ever find yourself, like them, in a situation where you're explaining away the truth or hiding from it because it puts you in an awkward place, it's time to stop and examine your life for something that needs to change.

In John 3:21, Jesus said, "But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God." (ESV)

We shouldn't be living in such a way that we have to be afraid of the truth.

But, what about when we truly don't know something? The line we trained our call center customer service agents to say was, "I don't know, but let me find out."

Yes, sometimes people will be annoyed that you don't know, but generally they're okay with it because they know you're honest so they can trust the answer you bring back to them. Besides, you'd look worse than ever if you tried to fudge the answer.

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment