Friday, March 6, 2015

Earrings from a Broken Bracelet

A few years ago, I found some pretty beads at an antique sale. I remember the vendor telling me something about the beads, but what exactly that was... well, that's escaped my memory. Thankfully, through the years, the beads haven't gotten lost.

I tried making a bracelet with them once, but it kept coming apart, so I didn't wear it because I didn't want to lose them.

Now, I could turn to Pinterest and learn to make a better bracelet, but I was at a craft store a couple of days ago and found these earring-making supplies:


2 in headpins with large ball end
17 mm fishhook earwire (short)

If you look closely, you can see that this was not an expensive project--using the store's mobile coupon, I think I paid about $4.

I went home and strung two beads each on two of the headpins. Then, I threaded the headpins through the loop on the bottom of the earwires. The pins are very flexible, so I was able to twist them into a secure, double circle to attach the pin to the earwire. (It looked like a mini spring.)


After that, I clipped off the extra end.

The metal was soft enough that I clipped them with a nail clipper, but lest you damage that, you might want to go to the trouble of getting out a wire cutter.

The project was easy, and I'm thrilled with the result. I went to my jewelry stash to pull out some other bracelets I don't wear anymore so I could use my leftover supplies to re-purpose them, too, but, alas, I'd gotten rid of them on a de-cluttering kick.

If you still have old beaded bracelets hanging around--or even beaded necklaces that you don't wear--this could make a fun weekend project!

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment