Monday, March 23, 2015

A Lesson From Streaky Display Cases

Once, at a job in a meat shop and deli, I used a rag and a bucket of soapy water to wipe down the display cases instead of the spray bottle and paper towels. No biggie, right? Well, the water/rag combo left streaks on the chrome finish of the cases, and when the owner of the shop saw,  I had to redo my work.
He was so shocked that I had washed up in a way that left streaks that he began to question me about it. He said, "Your co-worker told you to wash this this way, didn't he? You don't have to protect him. You wouldn't just do this on your own."

I felt bad enough about the issue, and to have the owner basically imply that there was no way I would've made such a poor choice on my own made me feel even worse. I was forced to insist that no, I had indeed come up with this bad idea myself.

What seemed obvious to the owner hadn't been so obvious to me. I didn't know I was making such a mistake until it was done.

This is why we need to be reminded of basic truths about how to live our lives. It's a matter of maintenance, prevention, and correction. We can get this from our parents, mentors, the Bible, and various teachers and friends. It's uncomfortable, sometimes, but we're better for it.

So, listen to the wise people around you. As hard as it can be, without them, you're bound to have to learn more the hard way... And you'll be lucky if it's as easy to fix as streaky display cases.

Or, maybe you're in the mentor position. Consider who looks up to you and in what (non-naggy) ways, you can help them avoid the mistakes you've made... By example, perhaps? By sharing some of your own stories?

Let's graciously help each other be better people!

Love,
Your Sister


No comments:

Post a Comment