Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Ready, Set, Go!

Since this is my first post of 2015, that seems like a fitting title.

I've been working on a few different projects lately, and that's gotten me thinking about what it means to be "ready" for something.

One of my projects is a novel that I'm drafting. I was sharing it with some critique partners, but then I realized that getting their feedback this early in the process was hampering my progress. They had great points, but I'm not ready to focus on that. Once I have the draft finished, complete with a firmer idea of what I'm trying to say and the story I'm trying to convey, I'll be in a position to benefit from their help. So, in one case, I wasn't ready.

But the manuscript I spent 2014 finishing and polishing (with the help of those wonderful critique partners) was a different story. I'd been procrastinating instead of sending it out into the world, but I finally got to the point where I realized that while I may not feel ready, the manuscript was begging for the next step. So, I sent it off.

Maybe like me, you've been waiting because you don't feel ready.

Here's the thing, though. When it comes to getting up the nerve to actually put a foot out in the world in pursuit of any one of a million wonderful but intimidating goals, you may never feel ready.

That's where it comes time to use your head. Sure, these dreams stem from somewhere else deep inside us, but that place is full of emotion, and among those emotions is a fear of rejection. Our heads, however, know the time and effort we've put into preparing. Our heads know there's never really going to be a better time than now, when we're primed and ready because of all of our hard work.

Most importantly, our heads understand that if we don't face our fear of rejection, we'll have to live with something worse: never giving ourselves the chance to achieve what we really want.

Take your time to prepare. Get together your best work and your best self, and then move out of the land of preparation and into the land of pursuing dreams. Yup, here we face rejection on one level or another, but that's better than facing the fact that we never tried.

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment