Friday, October 17, 2014

Simple Crochet Project: Lacy Sweatshirt Back

Clothes are so pretty right now - lace and gauzy fabric. I have a sweatshirt that I basically liked minus the brand stuff printed across the back. So, I found a way to pretty it up! What do you think?

You can still read what was on the back of the sweatshirt, but I'm okay with that. The project was pretty easy. I'm not someone who likes to carefully follow instructions, so I sort of made it up as I went, and my directions are not an exact science. If you're like me and don't mind eyeballing things and winging it, here's basically how I did it.

1. Find #2 fine yarn. I chose the slightly-fuzzy Yarn Bee Lace in Vintage Rose. It's 10% wool and 10% mohair, so it's a little bit fuzzy.
2. Thread the yarn on a needle and stitch the perimeter of the area that you'd like to cover. For me, this meant along the back of the neckline, down the seams of the arms, down the side seams, and across the bottom, right above the lower cuff at the waist of the sweatshirt. Secure with knots on the inside of the sweatshirt.

3. Switch to a fairly small crochet hook. I used a G.
4. Across the very top line (the neckline for me), do a single stitch in each stitch that shows. In the space between your stitches where the yarn goes under the fabric, do a chain. You'll end up with a repeating pattern of single crochet, chain all the way across.
5. Once you reach the end, continue with the same thing up the first three or so visible stitches on the side/along the arm.
6. Turn the work. Chain one. Treble stitch in the first chain space along the neckline. Chain one. Treble stitch in the next chain space. Continue all the way across.
7. Once you reach the end, again, work down the side by using about 3 stitches for your single crochet/chain pattern. This anchors the "lace" to the sweatshirt all the way around.
8. From here on out, it's just treble stitching in the chain spaces with a chain in between.
9. As you continue, depending on the shape of your sweatshirt, you may need to add extra chains or treble stitches to accommodate changes in width of the area you're covering. Check how the lace hangs over the sweatshirt regularly to make sure they match up and it still hangs the way it should.
10. Continue all the way to the bottom hem. Then, after you've completed your last row, slip stitch it to the line you stitched into the hem at the start of the project.

I hope it works out for you! Have you embellished a sweatshirt before? How'd it turn out?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment