Monday, September 15, 2014

Answers to Prayer

Not so long ago, I prayed that God would help me better understand how prayer works. Over the course of the next week or two, I was thrilled when God answered in no uncertain terms. Since sometimes prayer feels like wishful thinking, I thought sharing the way God answered this prayer might be helpful.

Shortly after my prayer, our youth pastor led one of the bi-weekly prayer meetings at our church. The mini-devotion we do in the meetings is usually focused on giving us food for thought on things to pray about, but this time, the pastor taught on prayer itself. We read the account of Jesus cursing the fig tree (Matthew 21:18-22). The pastor stressed that prayer is a powerful tool that has a real affect. Trees can wither, mountains can move. Real, solid, physical outcomes from prayer are possible.

In my Sunday school class (yes, my church has those for adults, too), we're going through a systematic theology book. The topics change every week from attributes of God to angels to... you guessed it! Shortly after I asked to better understand prayer, prayer was also the topic of my Sunday school class. Looking at my notes, a number of good things were taught. I wrote down the phrase "We, through God, have power and this brings glory to God." I also copied down some verses if you want to look at a couple: James 4:2, Luke 11:9-13, 2 Chronicles 7:14. But, looking back, one of the biggest things I got out of the class was another confirmation that God takes our prayers seriously. When I made my request to learn more about prayer, he brought two separate teachers into my life to help.

I waited a few weeks before writing this post, so working off my notes from my Bible reading around the same time, I can tell you that God also spoke through my personal study of the Bible. Habakkuk had some hard questions for God, and he asked them in no uncertain terms. And then, he waited. And God answered him. The answer itself isn't the amazing thing to me. Just the fact that Habakkuk asked his questions and then completely believed God would answer (he took up station to wait, after all!). And God didn't let him down. Just like God didn't let me down. When I asked to learn about prayer, I received at least three answers! This is the awesome, personal, caring God we serve.

What answers to prayer have you experienced?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment