Sunday, July 13, 2014

Are All Religions True?

I once had a friend say something about how maybe God is represented by many different religions. Maybe He doesn't fit just one.  Recently, because of the book Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers, I studied the book of Hosea. My study Bible pointed out the emphasis Hosea puts on "knowing" God. Take a look at some of the verses about the importance of knowing God.

4:1 - Hear the word of the Lord, O children of Israel, for the Lord has a controversy with the inhabitants of the land. There is no faithfulness or steadfast love, and no knowledge of God in the land

6:3 - Let us know; let us press on to know the Lord; his going out is sure as the dawn; he will come to us as the showers, and the spring rains that water the earth.

6:6 For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice, the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.

We couldn't press on to know God if he didn't have a specific, knowable being. Some things taught about Him are true. Some things we hear about Him are false. And the Christian God is not cool with sharing the spotlight with other gods. O Ephraim, what do I have to do with idols? It is I who answer and look after you. (Hosea 14:8)

If the rest of the Bible wasn't clear enough about our need for The One True God, Hosea 13:4 sums it up saying, But I am the Lord your God from the land of Egypt; you know no God but me, and besides me there is no savior.

Not all religions are true. They can't be. The Bible doesn't allow for it because it claims Jesus as the only God. Let's obey Hosea 6:3 and press on to know Him better!

Love,
Your Sister


All Scripture in this post is taken from the ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment