Tuesday, May 27, 2014

10 Commandments

This may be the worst conversation starter ever, but here goes: The other day, I was reading the Ten Commandments. I bet you're at the edge of your seat now :)

No, you're not in store for a big lecture. I was just thinking that God's love for people shines through the commandments. Sometimes, I feel like the Old Testament (God, forgive me) is stale. Like it's just full of lists of kings and sins and like it's hard to learn anything about what it's like to be a Christian today. Oh, I am so wrong and so glad I'm venturing more into the Old Testament! The Ten Commandments are a great example of how the Old Testament applies today.

Think about it. How many blog posts are out there that tell you to be happy with what you have and to quit agonizing in jealousy? The commandments agree: Do not covet! Plenty of blog posts, too, lament how the writer would do anything to get some advice now from her mother who is now gone. Again, the commandments agree: Honor your father and mother.

According to the account in Exodus 20, following the commandments will allow God to show "steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments" (the footnote on "thousands" in my ESV Bible says the word could be translated "to the thousandth generation"). Obeying will also pave the way for having a long life. Looking at these, commandments, we'll also live pretty peacefully with our neighbors. That's the kind of life I want to have.

We are under a covenant of grace - we could never obey all the commandments every day of our lives, no matter how hard we tried, and it's only a person's belief in Jesus Christ allows God to hold us guiltless - but it would be unwise for us to disregard the commandments. Even today, they're the best advice out there for having a blessed life.

Have you ever been surprised by something you learned from the Old Testament?

Love,
Your Sister




No comments:

Post a Comment