Monday, April 28, 2014

Trusting God with My Trip

On Wednesday, I leave for China. I'm pretty stressed today. I feel like there's a lot to get done, though I crossed almost everything off my to-do list already. I have to do laundry and pack. I have some church functions to tend to. That's about it, and there's really plenty of time to get it all done. I suppose I'm also worried about safety and jetlag and feeling well enough to enjoy my trip. What if I get sick? What if my plane crashes? What if, what if, what if?

I want to confront this worry. 1 Peter 5:6-7 says, "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."

My feeble brain takes a little more convincing, so, I should be casting my cares on God and not worrying because:
1. God is good and he does good. Psalm 119:68
2. God's plans always come to pass. Isaiah 14:24
3. Everything works together for the good of those who love God. Romans 8:28
4. Even death cannot separate me from the love of God. Romans 8:37-39

God is firmly in control and he is good, so my worry is unfounded and even prideful and sinful. I wouldn't be worried if I were focused on God's will instead of my own. See, I have no power to bring about my will. That's what worries me. I'm not in control. I can't keep myself safe or happy or healthy. However, God is fully in control and nothing will stop his will. His will is good, even if it means something "bad" in the short-term of my life, and I choose to trust that, no matter the circumstances.

I feel a little better already.

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment