Friday, April 18, 2014

How to Get Things Done


Lately, I've been dreading Thursdays, and part of the reason is that it's laundry day. Because of how small my house is, we don't have a washer and dryer, so there are numerous trips to the Laundromat to put clothes in, switch clothes to the dryer, and fold them. Three trips, I guess. As I was entering for the last time today, I decided that I was going to be fast about my folding. One of my dryers had eight minutes left, so I dedicated myself to finishing the first load before time ran out. I didn't quite make it, but I was close, and I don't think I would've gone as fast without the race, so I set a timer for folding the second load. I did make that one, and it means I got a whole week's worth of laundry folded in under twenty minutes. That's not too bad, and it got me thinking what else I could do to make other chores not too bad, either. That's where the list above comes from.

I mention setting goals and limits because I tend to start something and then feel like I'm never really done. If I want to do some yard work, for example, I might feel like I have to rake the whole thing in one go when it would be much more tolerable (for my hands as well as my mind) to split it up over a couple days.

Announcing my intentions helps me, too, because then people are bound to ask me how it went. If I have to fess up to not following through, you can bet I'll want to have a good reason for it! Otherwise, the chores must go on.

Of course, the most fun is the latte I get myself when I'm running errands I don't particularly enjoy. I do like a nice perk for doing my duty.

How do you keep up?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment