Monday, March 17, 2014

Stirred, Not Shaken

To have the best friendships, we have to reverse a certain secret agent's recipe for a good drink from "shaken, not stirred." Our relationships are best served stirred, not shaken.

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." Hebrews 10:24-25

A friend and strong advocate for mentorships told me a few months ago that people just seem hungry to have someone who will spend time with them. I hadn't seen much evidence of that, really. I'm an introvert and everyone (including me) just seemed so busy that I didn't know when people would fit in time to even notice they had a need like that. Honestly, I suppose my relationships had been shaken by the sheer business of life. But as soon as she said it, I knew it was true... She and I were talking that night because I had been in desperate need of someone to confide in. I'm grateful that she was willing to carve out time to spend with me even if maybe she would've preferred to have gone straight home after work to see her family.

Now that I'm no longer working a "day job," I've reached out to stir up some relationships I've been careless about in the past, and some people have reached out to me, knowing my schedule is freer. Judging by the fact that I need my planner now as much as ever to keep track of who wants to do what when, I have to whole-heartedly agree that people need friendship, community, and a listening ear.

Not that this is a selfless endeavor! I quit my day job in order to pursue writing. I knew that if I didn't, I would look back one day and regret that I hadn't. One of my friends pointed out today that really, it's the same with relationships. In the bustle of life, it can be hard to make them a priority, but each hour we have is valuable, and if we don't allot some of those to the people we care about in our lives, we're also going to look back with regret on that.

Is there someone you can stir up this week? What's keeping you from reaching out?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment