Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Knots and Loops

I learned the very basics of crochet when I was a kid, and then didn't use the skills for years. Just last week, my grandma taught me how to crochet again. My first few lines were awkward and messy, but as I went along, a pattern emerged - one that, to my surprise, looked kind of like the picture. I'm now making Zeb the Zebra, and he's turning out just beautifully despite having to start with a new stitch (or method?) called a magic loop, which again started out kind of iffy.

As I watch the directions and follow along, trusting these loops of yarn will turn into something, it occurs to me that crafts like this are like life. It's messy at times, but if we follow the directions stitch after stitch, at some point (hopefully on Earth, but maybe not until heaven), we'll look at what we've got and be shocked at how it all came together. Those directions, of course, can be found in the Bible, but like I have my grandmother teaching me to crochet, I have women I respect who are teaching me how to follow Jesus because sometimes I get tangled up and need someone to help me straighten out the thread.

The moral of the story is that if the knots and loops of life are a mess, look long and hard at the directions, get help understanding them, and then follow them through thick and thin. Patterns and order will eventually emerge.

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment