Monday, March 24, 2014

Have a Happy Birthday

Today's the day: my birthday. It's also a Monday, so it's been pretty low key. I did spend Saturday in Madison shopping with friends, and the delicious homemade family dinner was last night, but allll the birthday wishes sent my way today via everyone's favorite social media site got me thinking... What is it that makes a birthday happy?

When I was a kid, birthdays were a party kind of occasion. I now tend to think a little pessimistically about what it means to get older, which is a bad habit I don't recommend you pick up. Because of that, I knew I needed to realign my perspective with God's, so I spent part of my morning studying the Bible. From there, as a birthday wishes rolled in, I came to the conclusion that making any day happy, birthdays included, means spending time with God, taking care of myself (not to say I passed on birthday cake!), accomplishing work I feel good about, and spending time with people I love. That's a pretty subdued birthday plan, but I'm sitting here feeling so satisfied with my day - and it's not done yet - dinner's waiting.

How do you celebrate your birthday? What every day habits do you carry over, even to special occasions?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment