Monday, March 31, 2014

Doing It Anyway

Have you ever dreaded something? You put if off until it came down to the wire or you cringed as the scheduled moment drew near. And then, you did it, and it wasn't so bad after all. In fact, it went just fine! This has happened to me a couple times lately, so I just thought I'd put out a note to tell you that good things can happen if you, too, just stop procrastinating and get it over with.

My mom likes this saying: Feel the fear and do it anyway.

Not my favorite bit of wisdom. I would rather the saying be: If you're afraid, you should just forget about the whole thing. Unfortunately, it's some of the most worth-while things that tie me up in knots of emotion. For this reason, I would suggest that we make the things we fear much more stressful by putting them off so we have longer to build them up in our minds.

Maybe the phrase could be reworded to say: Do it before you have the chance to feel the fear.

Of course, sometimes, we have to wait for something so fear has time to fester - a test, a meeting, an interview. In those times, the Bible tells us repeatedly that we shouldn't worry. You may feel fear, but you don't have to let it take over your thoughts, and you don't have to let it stop you. Take it one day at a time and seek God (try checking out Matthew 6:25-34). Then, when the time comes, relax and get the job done!

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment