Saturday, February 1, 2014

On Regret

I'm a sucker for regrets, and I can get pulled into beating myself up for even little mistakes. Maybe that's why I recognize when someone else is spending too much time in regret or guilt after a rough situation. Since I don't know all your situations out there, I'm just going to assume someone who comes across this blog needs to here this as much I as sometimes do, so here goes:

I don't want anyone sending one of my sisters on a guilt trip I wouldn't send her on, so knock it off. In cases like these, there are almost always two people involved, and it's very possible that you entered into the situation with dreams and intentions, and maybe you should have been safe, but maybe the other person purposely mistreated you and deceived you. No, that doesn't take away the fact that you did some things you regret. It doesn't excuse your sin. So confess, ask God to forgive you, and then forgive yourself. Christ didn't have to die because we were all perfect, and his death isn't any worse nor does he love us any less because this situation.

You've learned some things, and they weren't fun or pretty, but all that is now is a history lesson. Close the book, walk out of the classroom, and yes, like any good student, apply the lesson where you can, but don't stay awake nights or fret through your days worrying about something your history teacher said. You're free, and you have so much going on right now that makes your life amazing that you need to do your best to enjoy it.

I think it was on a Joyce Meyer CD where I heard something about how none of the apostles beat themselves up over their mistakes. Peter didn't spend all his letters lamenting the fact that he betrayed Jesus three times the night of the crucifixion. He accepted forgiveness and moved on to doing what he could do for the kingdom. And when Paul references his past, where he thought persecuting the church was valuable, he's not brooding over it, either. Instead, he tells us he's left it behind without an extra beat spent agonizing over the pain he caused the church, to which he now belongs.
 
I was so zealous that I harshly persecuted the church. [...] I used to think these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. [...] For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him. Philippians 3:6,7, 8-9 (NLT)
 
So, there's Biblical back up for forgiving yourself. It'd be wrong not to ;)
 
Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment