Thursday, January 30, 2014

Finishing Well

I've announced it on Facebook, but not here: I'm quitting my day job so I can focus on a writing career. This is not a fast process, though. I'm going to be working through the first week of March.

To realign my perspective and motivation to finish my job well, and also in case you're struggling to finish something well - a class? a part time job? - here are some things that might help us all keep doing quality work up until the end:

- We really are building a legacy. As new people take up the reins where we leave them, they will either find that our work was good or was bad. We won't be there to defend it. They will have no choice but to notice, because they will either be able to pick up right where we leave off or they'll have to spend weeks or months cleaning up after the (insert something applicable here: angry customers, hurt feelings, disorganized notes) we leave in our wake. (see I Corinthians 3:10)

- Enjoy it while we can. The good ol' days never seem like the good ol' days until they're gone. If they seemed so good when they were here, we might not have let them go, right? So even if you're antsy about moving on, see if you can't find parts of it to really enjoy while you're stuck where you are. (see Ecclesiastes 9:10)

- We represent more than ourselves. This is one has been a driver for me. When I tell people I'm quitting to write Christian fiction, the obvious conclusion is that .... drumroll... I'm a Christian. What will people learn about Christ and my faith when they look at the work I've done and how I've handled myself? Will they see something they want for their own lives? (see Ephesians 4:1)

- We are accountable to God. Intimidating, yet self-explanatory. (see 2 Timothy 2:15)

How do you keep up the quality of your work until the end of a project?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment