Saturday, February 23, 2013

Low-Grade Art

Have you ever thought about the art of persuasion? Sometimes, it seems like I am most susceptible to rather low-grade art persuasion. If someone criticizes me or something I did or believe, I can very quickly find myself thinking their opinion holds more weight than my own. And what did they do to persuade me? They were blunt and confident. They're right; I'm wrong.

I think the first step toward righting this in my life is recognizing my tendancy to respond to criticism by succumbing to it. When I see myself do it, I can stop and re-evaluate by asking:

Is the other person an expert in this subject? Am I? Am I following an expert's advice already?

What does Jesus have to say about the matter?

Is it possible the criticism is coming from wrong motives?

I'm sure there are other things to consider, too... What do you think about before adopting someone's advice?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment