Saturday, January 12, 2013

Let Everyone See

A while ago, I memorized a big chunk of Philippians. I've been trying to brush up on it recently, and so I was practicing 4:4-9 or so. So here goes the way I remembered verses 4-5:

Always be full of joy in the Lord, dear brothers. I say it again: rejoice! Be considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.

And then, I looked down at my open Bible. Here's what the NLT version actually says:

Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again - rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon.

So I had the gist of it, but that "Let everyone see" struck me as being a significant difference. In the heat of a disagreement between two friends, have you ever had one of the friends say to you, "I'm being perfectly reasonable. It's her that's crazy/blowing this out of proportion/overreacting." And you can't really agree because you love both your friends and you can see both sides.

I guess what I'm getting at is, how often do we convince ourselves we're being considerate or reasonable when we're not... and everyone can see it. I looked it up in the ESV, just to see if another version worded it the same way. ESV has it:

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand.

So there you have it. We have to go beyond our narrow view of what seems reasonable or considerate to our own selfish perspective and consider how we look from the outside, to everyone around us. It's important because Christ is coming soon, and not only do we want to receive a "Well done" from him, but we also want to win our friends over so they, too, are welcomed into heaven.

That said, I'll leave you with my memorized version of another verse in Philippians:
I do not mean to say that I have already achieved this, dear brothers, or that I have already been made perfect. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.

What's the reference for that? Did I get it right? Open your Bible and see. ;)

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment