Saturday, November 17, 2012

If You Get Promoted

When I was first promoted to a supervisor position at work, there were a couple Bible verses that really helped to shape the approach I used over the years that followed. They're all in 1 Timothy, where Paul, an experienced leader and apostle, was writing to Timothy. Here are some key ideas I still carry with me, even as I've been promoted to a new position at a new company and am looking to lead a whole new team:

Be above reproach. I'm putting this first because this idea, from chapter 3, verse 2 is huge for me. I want to live and work in such a way that no one can question my conduct. If I tell an agent not to be checking their cell phone at work, then I had better not be checking mine.

Don't be self conscious about your age (4:12). You can be young and still set the bar. If you're promoted to that leadership position, it's because your boss thinks you can handle it, so get out there and handle it. By the way, promotions come from God, so it would seem he also thinks you can handle it. With a vote of confidence from Him, you can handle anything.

Treat direct reports like family you love (5:1). Listen to and respect them. Don't ignore problems, but be encouraging when you address them. Really, the verses say it best, so I'll type them out for you: "Do no rebuke an older man but encourage him as you would a father, younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, younger women as sisters, in all purity."

Of course, there's a problem with treating them like family... They become really, really hard to leave as relationships develop. I've worked a week for my new employer, and I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to everything that comes with the new job, but I still miss my old team. If any of you are reading this, you're awesome!!

Love,
Your Sister

1 comment: