Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Was Job Innocent?

Um... Hello. Of course Job was innocent! God said so himself in Job 1:8 when he says, "He is the finest man in all the earth. He is blameless - a man of complete integrity. He fears God and stays away from evil." (NLT)

Later, though, God asks Job, "Who is this that questions my wisdom with such ignorant words?" (38:2, NLT) and Job eventually replies "I take back everything I said, and I sit in dust and ashes to show my repentance." (42:6, NLT).

Hm. But later Bible passages speak of Job as an example of faith and endurance. My study Bible suggests that Job's human reaction - his questions, his desire for an audience with God, his despair and sorrow - were just that: a glimpse of Job's humanity. It argues that he's an example of faith because, despite his questions and suffering, "he does not curse God, and he does not make a false confession of guilt in the hope that God will let up on him. Although Job could not understand his situation, he knows that his answer will be found in God."

That, I believe, is the heart of it. Romans 4:22 tells us, "And because of Abraham's faith, God counted him as righteous." This, I believe, is also what happened with Job. Not because he never got discouraged, not because he was super-human, but because he ultimately had faith in God.

Have you ever studied Job? What did you learn?

Love,
Your Sister

2 comments:

  1. I love Job! What amazed me about it was how quickly his friends turned on him. I mean, he was this AWESOME person, but as soon as he was in trouble, his friends, under the guise of "comforting" him, were like, "So, what did you do?" To me the fact is, even if he did something that he was being punished for, their job was not to judge him, they should have been there to help him up. So I take it as a 2-way lesson: when someone else falls, be the first to put out your hand and pick them up, not kick them while they're down. And 2nd, if you're the one having trouble, expect some friends to turn on you, but remember it happened to much better people. :)

    ReplyDelete