Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Forget Anything but Faith

I have been shockingly absent-minded a few times since surgery. If I had to guess why, I'd say it's stress and extra-tiredness (which, thank God, is finally fading away) and maybe autumn blues.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Scene: My husband and I are at a restaurant. It's been a year or two since we were there, and my husband is trying to remember the name of a dish we liked.
My husband: An onion blossom
Waiter: We have onion rings
Me (stumped, silent)
My husband: That wasn't it, but okay.
Waiter exits.
Me (just after the waiter leaves): Onion petals!
My husband: That was it. They must've taken them off the menu.
A couple minutes.
Me (spoke with excitement and revelation): They were called onion petals!
My husband (blank stare): you just said that.
Me: Oh. Sorry. I forgot.
A couple minutes.
Me (thinking to myself): What were those called again? I know I told him already... Oh, yeah, onion petals.

That really happened. And that's not even my most embarrassing or shocking oversight. So...

I was lying in bed the other night, worrying. If I can't remember basic things like that, what else have I forgotten? I felt completely out of control. What's a girl to do when she can't even count on herself to remember what she said 30 seconds ago?

Easy.

She doesn't count on herself at all. She counts on God.

For all the things I've forgotten, God has picked up the slack. When I forgot to bring my Bible to the Bible study where I was presenting a little devotional? No problem. I had written the verse down to carry it with me - not thinking of the Bible study at all - so I had the Scripture I needed.

Even when we see the problem coming, God is faithful. There's no need to worry. Check out Hebrews 11 for lists and list of people who, in human terms, had reason to worry but who chose faith instead. Then, let's all follow the advice of Hebrews 12:1 and 2, which say, Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. (NLT)

Have you ever seen God fill in the gaps of your forgetfulness?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment