Sunday, October 7, 2012

Detoxing from the Drug of Misplaced Value

Ever had one of those days where you spend a big chunk of time waiting for that one person to talk to you, to need you for something, to ask you for some favor? And then, when it doesn't happen, you get this big letdown or, when it does happen, you're ecstatic. For me, back in high school and college, that waiting usually revolved around a boy. Now, in the working world, instead of being about a crush, it revolves around a desire to be needed by higher-ups in the company. If you're like me, maybe you get so much validation from the people around you that being able to interact with and please them becomes something like a drug. It's addicting, but we've misplaced our value by trusting it with other people instead of finding our value strictly with God.

I've decided that, in my life, this needs to stop. I was not created to sit around and long for the chance to work on some project or get in on some meeting, just like sixteen-year-old me was not created to flirt with some boy. The arc of my day and my happiness needs to instead revolve around God. Him, I can guarantee you, I was born to please. It's his will I need to be constantly on the lookout for, and I need to get my kicks from participating in his plan for my life and the world around me.

I challenge you to join me in this. Don't get your value or your happiness from external relationships or things. My plan for detoxing from the drug of external approval is to rely on Psalm 62:5-7. When I find myself longing or looking for validation outside of my relationship with God, I plan to recite it to myself. That means I'll have to memorize it, so I'll type it out for you in an attempt to start learning it myself:

Let all that I am wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken. My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me. (NLT)

What's your drug? What're you going to do about it?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment