Sunday, September 30, 2012

Play to Win Definitively

I don't know about you, but I like it when things seem fair to me. I'm not much of a football fan, and I guess I don't know about how qualified or not those infamous replacement refs where, but it seemed unfair to me that a team could lose a game based on what appeared to be an unfair call. But, this morning, my pastor said something in the service this morning that really caught my attention. Basically, it went like this:

Don't play the game in such a way that one bad call can cost you victory. Play to win definitively.

Wow. That's a different way to look at it. How often in life do we blame circumstances beyond ourselves for our losses when, really, we never should've been close enough to losing for those circumstances to push us over the edge?

Here's an example. At my work, some of our part timers will get in trouble for their attendance. Once it gets to a certain point, three more absences can cost them their job. They'll call in twice for things that could've been avoided, like being out of town. Then, let's say, they get really sick and miss a third shift. When we tell them that that's it, they say, "I was too sick to work!" That could be, but what about all the other times? Not just the twice when they were out of town, but all the attendance issues that put them in a place where they had to worry about the security of their job in the first place.

From the get go, they weren't playing to win definitively. They were trying to get by.

Something to think about. What are we letting slide to the brink of loss with the idea that the one unthinkable "bad call" won't happen? What do we need to do to turn those circumstances around before that one last, unfortunate thing causes some sort of failure?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment