Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tough Olympians

I suppose there are books worth of words that could be used to describe Olympians. I've been so impressed by the feats their bodies can accomplish. Whether it's swimming, running, or gymnastics, I keep saying, "Wow!" and "Did you see that?" and "Look at how they do that..." But I've also been struck by the stories the commentators share about the athletes' journeys to the Olympics. So many have suffered personal tragedy, crippling setbacks, and emotional turmoil. These athletes are tough, not just in the physical sense, but in the sense they they've chased their dreams when it seemed impossible or a waste of time.

When it comes down to physical feats, few of us will ever accomplish what these Olympians do, but we can all learn from them to not give up on our God-given talents and passions. We need to hone in on these things in our lives and develop them. We need to persevere when the going gets tough and the world tells us it's time to give up.

Hebrews 12:12-13 says, "Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your week knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed." (ESV)

Sometimes, my ability to write novels seems pretty lame - in both senses - but lately, I've been refocusing on God, learning to go deeper with him (you can ALWAYS go deeper with God!!), and taking more time to work on writing. When you focus on God first and your other issues second, you're on a straight path, and I feel like my writing ability may be on the way toward healing.

It's possible my novels will never see publication, let alone awe a global audience like an Olympian, but Hebrews 11 tells me that seeing my dreams come true in this world isn't the point. The point is to persevere through the impossible like an Olympian. I need to persevere in faith and leave the fulfillment of dreams and promises to my ever-faithful God. I need to be tough.

Have you watched the Olympics? What stood out to you?

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment