Monday, July 2, 2012

The Things We Create

Genesis introduces to God as he creates the world. And how is he creating? Chapter 1, verse 3 says, "Then God said, "Let there be light," and there was light." He created by speaking.

In my last post, I talked about the importance of how we word things. The idea was that we need to word our commitments to things like eating healthy or not drinking in a way that makes them sound like a firm choice, rather than an obligation.

Now, I'd like to take this a step further. Let's check in on the creation process a little further down the line. 1:27 says, "So God created human beings in his own image."

If we are created in the image of God, whose words can bring the universe into being, it seems to me that we need to be very careful about the way we talk. What are we creating when we say, "I just don't get it. I'm stupid," or "I'm fat," or "I'm useless"? Yet, in one form or another, we all struggle with saying this kind of thing about ourselves! Look at what we're creating! And this isn't even getting into the things we say about other people.

If we're made in the image of God, where do these negative, destructive words come from?

In John 8:44-46, Jesus says, "For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies. So when I tell you the truth, you just naturally don't believe me!"

Whoa. Could it be that our negative self talk comes straight from the lips of the devil? As scary as it is, I believe so.

There's a nice trio of verses in Proverbs that I believe apply here. Proverbs 18-20: Some people make cutting remarks, but the words of the wise bring healing. Truthful words stand the test of time, but lies are soon exposed. Deceit fills hearts that are plotting evil; joy fills hearts that are planning peace!

Let's use our words to create peace and healing in ourselves and those around us.

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment