Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Pride Experiment

I am reading a book about the tests we must pass before our destinies are fulfilled as Christians. It uses Joseph (the one with the colorful coat) as a model and applies lessons from his lives to ours. The first lesson the book talks about is pride, and you can bet that colorful coat comes into play. The book, if you want to check it out, is From Dream to Destiny by Robert Morris. Highly recommend. Even if you can't get the book, look over the first part of Joseph's story, and you, too, may recognize that he was more than a bit prideful around his brothers.

Anyway, I decided that I, like Joseph, have a pride problem. (You have no idea how much my pride, for example, wants me to qualify that statement or soften it...). How to solve it? The book talks about remembering our true identity in Christ is that of a beloved adopted child who was saved out of a pit of sin. There is security (note the word "beloved) and humility (note the word pit) wrapped up in that statement.

But how does one go about actively remembering something like that? I decided to take off a couple of my figurative coats of many colors for a few days as a reminder to be humble and to rest in my worth as a child of God whose value has nothing to do with works or outward appearances...

I usually wear heavy eyeliner. Love the stuff. Besides, when I don't wear it, people tell me I look tired. Well, for a few days, I've decided to put aside my usual eye make up. No liner. No showy shadow. No mascara. I'm also cutting waaaay back on heat styling my hair (I did use a blow dryer today, but that's because I want to humble myself, not look like I'm careless about how I prepare for work). Oh, and I'm wearing flats instead of heels. See, I take pride in and find my identity in my appearance, just like I do in my writing or my work. The goal is to give myself plenty of in-my-face reminders to find my identity in Christ and Christ alone. After all, forgoing makeup for a few days sounds a lot easier than being attacked by my brothers and sold into slavery. Just sayin'.

What do you think? How do you address pride? Want to join my experiment?

Love,
Your Sister

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm that's quite the experiment. (Though for the record, your make-up never struck me as "heavy".) I'm interested to hear how it goes. Usually I don't think I recognize my own pride till it's too late and I've done or said something really stupid. :)

    ReplyDelete