Saturday, May 26, 2012

When Your Comfort Zone Gets Uncomfortable

How long have you been where you are? Was it wonderful at first? Is it still just as wonderful?

Personally, I've decided to look into making some changes. This is a pretty recent development, but I believe I've been building toward this for quite some time. In fact, now that I've made the decision to move in this area of my life, I'm wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

I'm not going to tell you to up and quit something, be it a relationship or a job or a school just because the new luster has worn off. New luster will wear off, and that's okay. It doesn't mean it's time to move on. However, if you're dancing around building disappointment or pitfalls, face those questions as early on as possible and don't flinch when the answer leads you outside your comfort zone. After all, I suspect that truly successfull, happy people out in the world are always evaluating their lives against the above questions, and then they actually adjust accordingly despite short-term inconvenience or discomfort.

Here are some things to ask yourself if, like me, you'd sometimes rather ignore or explain away the negetives of a situation:
- How long has this problem been eating at me?
- Will this problem grow or go away on it's own?
- If I act now, how is my life likely to be different a year from now? Five years?
- What is the least drastic action I could take to solve this problem? The most drastic?
- Have I prayed about this?
- Do I feel excitment and peace over making a change in this area?
- Is a change in this area in line with where I see my life headed and in line with my values?

Good luck making your decision!

Love,
Your Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment