Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Good Grief!

Last week Wednesday, I had to say goodbye to a loved friend and roommate of ten years; my black lab died. The entire process, from getting her diagnosis the Friday before to the weekend of decision-making about how we were going to handle it to deciding how I could give her the best-possible last days, was excruciating. Then came the part where I missed, missed, missed her and had no way to get her back. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting the decisions we made. I just wish she didn't have to die. Ever. But since sin is a part of this world, and, with it, death, there's no getting her back - at least not in this life.

Anyway, I feel like I've learned a thing or two about grief through this, so I thought I would take this week to talk about it. I realize there are bigger losses than the loss of a pet, but I suspect that the lessons I've learned apply to other situations, too. If not, well, maybe these thoughts will help you if you ever lose a pet.

Do you have any tips for getting through grief?


No comments:

Post a Comment