Friday, January 20, 2012

Poetry in the Bible

I'm on a bit of a classical literature kick. I read some Milton and then started flipping through the English Lit textbook one of my college professors gave me. The rhythm and images have put me in a peaceful frame of mind and have helped inspire me to work on my own writing in a time when other discouragements seem to abound. But then I got to thinking. There's some classical poetry that I confess, I have lately been neglecting: The poetry of the Bible.

I suppose the Psalms and Song of Songs or maybe even Job might be more obvious places to turn when looking for poetry in the Bible, but I went to the first few verses of the Gospel of John because I remember those verses striking me as just beautiful a couple years ago. Oh, they still are! And, with the notes in the study section of my Bible, I got to go on a journey through a few passages of poetry that have helped reestablish who Jesus Christ is in relation to creation, to people, and to God. Maybe it'll do something for you, too, so here's the path I took:

John 1:1-18 - This is about the Word (Jesus) being with God since the beginning and throughout creation.
Proverbs 8:22-31 - This describes wisdom as being with God since the beginning and throughout creation. A note in my Bible says that Christ is the pinnacle of God's wisdom, and pointed me to the next passage to prove the point.
Colossians 1:15-20 and 2:3

I hope you get something out of the journey like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment