Monday, November 14, 2011

Comfort for the Screwups

I made a bad call at work last week. It was completely unintentional, but I've been kicking myself for it ever since it happened. I know I'm not alone in this because I found this article on an NFL quarterback who lost a game due to one bad decision. So maybe something similar has been chewing away at your sense of peace and confidence? If so, here are some of the truths I'm looking to for comfort:

  1. God can (and does) use bad choices to put his plans into action. Consider Joseph. His brothers made a bad call; they sold Joseph into slavery! But when it's all said and done, Joseph tells his brothers, "But don't be upset, and don't be angry with yourselves for selling me to this place. It was God who sent me here" (Genesis 45:5). Romans 8:28 reinforces this, saying, "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them."
  2. God won't leave you hanging. 2 Thessalonians 3:3 says, "But the Lord is faithful; he will strengthen you and guard you from the evil one."
  3. We're still winners. Romans 8:35 and 37 read, "Can anything ever separate us from Christ's love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if he have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? [...] No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us." I'm not suffering anything that serious right now, despite my mistake, so it must be even more true that victory is still mine, despite the screw up. It's true for you, too.

I'll end with a verse from Paul: Now may the Lord of peace himself give you his peace at all times and in every situation. The Lord be with you all. (2 Thessalonians 3:16).



All the verses in this post are from the NLT version of the Bible.




No comments:

Post a Comment