Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Freaking Out


As I was freaking out about getting everything done to prepare for an upcoming writer's conference, my mom asked me a wise question that completely shifted my focus: Are you enjoying yourself?

Funny how, in my pursuit of what I thought was best for my writing career, I let myself lose sight of why I wanted to write in the first place. I do it because I enjoy it, but I was not enjoying the preparation for the conference because I was stressing myself out over all the things I had to get done. Why not enjoy the process if I was going to go to all that trouble? It's my life, it's what I believe I was called to do, and I believe I was called to it not only for God's glory but also for my own enjoyment.

I've since eased up, so now I'll turn the question on you. Look at the things you're striving for. Have you put so many expectations on yourself that you've stopped enjoying your life pursuits? Remember why you're doing what you're doing. Relax. Enjoy your life.


No comments:

Post a Comment