Saturday, September 3, 2011

How to Enjoy Autumn


Fall has always been a dark season for me. Up here in Wisconsin, the days get shorter, the greens of trees fade and then disappear altogether, leaving us with dark skies cut by the black veins of naked branches. Being depressed three months out of the year, however, seems unreasonable, and I've noticed that having traditions I enjoy has helped brighten my mood. In case you're in need of some happy traditions, I'll share mine.

Take a trip to a local apple orchard - and get a caramel apple!
Go hiking - try to plan the trip for a time and a place when any changing leaves are at peak.
Make soup and hearty food - I have a roasted sweet potato and onion dish that I love.
Take detours on walks to make a trip by the most colorful trees. Drink chocolate tea. Yes, there is such a thing, and it's amazing. Right now, I'm hooked on Double Dark Chocolate Mate by The Republic of Tea.

Feel free to borrow traditions and comment with some of your own!

2 comments:

  1. Are you trying to torment me??? ;) Down South we don't have any leaves in brilliant colors, but I usually look forward to the cooler days of October, perfect weather to spend 3 hours at the park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not at all. I'll try to not take our leaves for granted if you don't take your warm temperatures for granted! It was in the 40's when I woke up this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete