Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Be Careful Little Mouth What You Say...

Have you ever noticed your self-criticism impact those around you? Once, one of the instructors at the gym was recovering from surgery. She told me she tried a "wimpy" plank, meaning she was in push up position on her knees instead of her feet, and couldn't do it for the full minute or two that she had hoped to. That was pretty discouraging to me because all I ever did were the "wimpy" planks.

Recently, though, I think I did the same basic thing to a friend of mine; I was critical of myself and I noticed my friend immediately changing her behavior as if I had been criticizing her. It had never even occurred to me that my comment would make her uncomfortable or self-conscious.

Lesson learned! Be careful what you say, how you say it, and who you say it in front of.


No comments:

Post a Comment