Monday, June 27, 2011

How to Love God 101

In Matthew 22:37-38, Jesus says, "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment."

Hm. How're you doing with that? I mean, really. All your heart, all your soul, and all your mind? Every little bit of all of it.

In my mind (you know - in that mind that's supposed to spend itself loving God), loving God often equates to doing what he would have me do, and that often sounds like a chore. But, in Jone 10:10, Jesus says, "My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life."

In Matthew 7:9-11, he says, "You parents - if your children ask for a loaf of bread, do you give them a stone instead? Or if they ask for a fish, do you give them a snake? Of course not! So if you sinful people know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give good gifts to those who ask him." (NLT) 

Let's do something radical here. Let's believe Jesus. Let's believe that he came to give us a rich and satisfying life. That means that the most important commandment in his mind should also be the one that leads us to this wonderful life.

Though I've spent an unusual amount of time on this post and this path to this answer is my own, the initial question - How does a human love God even when she doesn't particularly want to? - and it's answer - Ask God for help! - were something I discovered through the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan. Since reading about this there, I've prayed for God to give me more and more of a desire for him, and he's answered. I think that if you earnestly pray for a desire for God, you'll see yourself change, too.

Something to think about.


No comments:

Post a Comment