Sunday, January 16, 2011

Money Trouble Is All In My Head

Lately, for some reason, I have been feeling like my finances are too tight. My car needs repairs, we just finished paying off the money we got behind on from Christmas, and now We just had to replace not only our laptop, but also our router. Plus, this is the year I finally joined a gym for the first time ever after years of having it in mind. I worry that we won't be able to afford it and I'll have to cancel the membership I've been enjoying so much. I also worry that I won't be able to stick with the financial goals I've made for this year, which would help us save for retirement, major emergencies, and put us on track to pay off the house in five years.

While these things are all important to me - and for what I still believe is for good reason - God has been working against my worry about these things today. As part of my effort to memorize two chapters of Philippians, I read and brushed up on some verses about having everything I need, but somehow managed to not find comfort or hope. Then, after leaving my new laptop to be set up for my use, I was riding though town. I saw a cemetery and considered that if, given an extra day, none of the people buried there would worry about money- especially not in my position. After all, when was the last time I couldn't pay for something I really wanted, let alone something I truly needed? God has never failed me. Why am I doubting him now? When I got home, my attention was drawn a few verses ahead of where I am in my memorization.

"At the moment, I have all I need - and more! ... And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:18-19 NLT

God has given us his glorious riches! Why would I spend another day worrying? Here's my suggestion: Don't waste your life worrying, either.

Love,

Your Sister

2 comments:

  1. Odd, I was feeling a lot like that this week! But when I sat down to actually assess what I have vs what I need, I realized there was plenty there! God is indeed looking out for me right now, I really feel it!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement. I love that verse in Philippians. God IS rich, and He wants to share with us; He WILL provide!

    Love
    Jen

    ReplyDelete