Saturday, July 10, 2010

Glimpses of God in the Garden

I was outside, weeding this morning. When I first walked out of the house to check on my garden, a hawk landed on the railing of my neighbor's deck. It sat there for a minute or so, and I got to watch him. I have a thing about birds. I love seeing them, and they remind me of God. For some reason, I often feel like he's sent a unique bird overhead just to remind me that he's thinking of me. (The pelicans that frequent my city in summer thrill me, so I was pretty excited about the hawks moving into a neighbor's tree.)

As I was weeding, I saw some bugs that I don't remember seeing before. God is so creative! I'm no bug expert (and, in fact, some bugs make me freeze and back away), but I was pretty impressed. One was tiny, black, and shiny like a highly polished pebble. One looked like a potato bug, but seemed to have a hard exoskeleton. Like when I saw the hawk, it occurred to me that maybe God sent the bugs just so I would see them. I wondered if it even went further than that. What if he had caused the weed to grow and the bug to be there at just the right time so that when I pulled the weed, I would see the bug and get to enjoy it.

Sound far-fetched? I don't think so. Here's Genesis 2:19:

So the Lord God formed from the ground all the wild animals and all the birds of the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would call them, and the man chose a name for each one. (NLT)

From this, I get that God likes to see our reactions to his creation. So, yes, I'm a firm believer that God brings animals (and birds!) into our lives to enjoy us enjoying the animals. It's another reminder of how much he loves us.

What animals have crossed your path lately?

3 comments:

  1. Just in the last two weeks? 4 baby birds and 3 stray puppies! Over the last year? Don't even ask! (But if you're wondering, they include probably about 11 stray dogs, a dying bird, a diabetic (also dying) hamster, and the 4 baby birds + the parent birds! And that's what I can think of right off the top of my head!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday, I saw a butterfly on the ground... it was kinda hidden among some old, dry grass clippings. It had several sets of spots on its wings, that looked like eyes... looking at me. I stood and stared at it for several minutes, just looking at it, and reminded of this post that you had up here. When I went inside, I grabbed a camera (had wished while I was watching the butterfly that I had had the camera with me) but by the time I got back out, the butterfly was gone... Just for that small window of time, that bit of creation was there - for me to enjoy. (and "looking" at me at the same time!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I confess I'm a bit envious over the stray puppies, Elizabeth! ;) In the case of a number of those animals, I imagine the blessings were mutual - you got to enjoy the animals, and they benefitted from knowing you, too!

    Dawn, that sounds like a neat butterfly, and just the sort of thing I had in mind when I posted this. Pictures that I take don't often do experiences like that justice - but that's me, and I seem to remember you being a much better photographer than I am... Hopefully, next time, you'll have your camera! :)

    ReplyDelete